Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"Golden Boy" Holden


From the first moment I saw her in her dark glasses and dark dress, eating breakfast outside of Tiffany’s, I knew that Audrey Hepburn would forever be the classic actress I held dearest to my heart. Her presence and poise, voice and humanity, that could not wane, would and will never cease to astound me. I always thought it strange, though, as I constantly replied “Audrey” when questioned about my favorite actress, I perpetually failed to say the same name more than twice when it came to an actor. How can I choose only one, or, for that matter, keep the same one, when innumerable amounts of gifted men constantly came across the silver screen. I would jump from Cary to Jimmy to Gregory to Errol and back to Cary before moving onto Marlon. Extremely content with this situation, I sat down to finally watch a staple Hepburn, Sabrina. Expecting nothing short of delight from director Billy Wilder and of course, an enjoyable time with Humphrey Bogart, I never expected to be completely floored by the Golden Boy, William Holden.
It would be much easier to describe the reasons why I find Cary Grant so charming or why I think Marlon Brando is the epitome of greatness. When it comes to Bill, he is an actor with immeasurable talent for convincing the audience he is the character he plays, but simultaneously, never letting them forget that he’s on screen. William, as the playboy David Larrabee, in Sabrina(1954), could not have differed more from his only Oscar winning role as the smug, conflicted Sgt. J.J. Sefton in Stalag 17(1953). But even through both Wilder’s, the epitome of Drama and Romantic Comedy, Bill’s effervescent charm and vulnerability shine through, and stay with me more than anyone else I have ever seen. It could be his dimples, or his strong voice, but it’s that something you cannot name that draws me. The Golden Boy had “It”, and it is incredible to watch.

1 comment: